The Marmora Volunteer Fire Company was organized and conceived in 1947. After the organization, the meetings were then held in the basement of a members home until the completion of the first firehouse. The first building was built with the combined efforts of many volunteers. Many donated items and discounts, along with the sweat and toil of the Marmora Firemen, made the firehouse a reality. Intially the building housed only one vehicle - the original truck - a World War II Navy Crash Truck. Soon the company would acquire a 1300 gallon tanker and other apparatus. These were the for-runners of the apparatus we have today.
The method for putting out fires at first was by Indian Cans only and gradually over the years progressed with the purchase of the finest fire fighting apparatus in the County. If the equipment was used it was rebuilt and worked on with tender loving care; if it was built to specifications it was designed with the same tender loving care and purpose. Firefighting equipment and practices have improved greatly. This year is the fifth decade that we have served our community with up to date apparatus that affords us not only a good firefighting capability, but also gives us the largest water transport capacity of any fire company in Cape May County.
We've Come a Long Way...(50 Years of Fire Protection in Marmora, New Jersey, 1947-1997)
by Stan Totten - Life Member